People should be free to find or make for themselves the kinds of educational experience they want their children to have. ~John Holt

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day

Father's Day is a bittersweet, day for me. Sweet because I have a wonderful husband who is an amazing father to our daughter. However, it's also bitter because my own father passed away 16 years ago. I can't say we ever had the greatest relationship, it was often strained at best and I blamed him for a lot of things that went wrong in my life. I am sad to say that we were so estranged when he passed away that I never got to say goodbye or that I was sorry for the way our relationship had always been.  But instead of dwelling on what might have been, I focus on the good memories: going to my grandmother's in Vermont every summer and stopping to buy fresh bread, VT Cheddar and apple cider to eat along the trip, fishing and crabbing together at Hammonassett State Park, and going hunting together which although the hunting part wasn't okay for me the learning about nature part was. He was also one who really gave me the opportunity to ride ponies non stop and fulfilled my dream of riding a horse (which turned into 20 years of my own horses). It is also because of him that I love nature as much as I do. I can still remember hearing him calling me to come running to see some bird or animal and he would be standing there with his Golden Guides to show me what it was. So while life wasn't perfect, my dad did the best he could after having his own tumultuous childhood and it took becoming an adult to realize how much he loved me and simply didn't know how to show it.

I'm sad he's not here to see his grand-daughter. I'm sad he never got to meet my wonderful husband. And I'm sad he never lived to see me grow into the mother I am now, one who now sees her father in a different light. So this Father's Day is dedicated to you Daddy.  I love you.

Langlois. Paul L. Sr.

May 21, 1994
LANGLOIS. Paul L. Langlois Sr., 72, of Cooley Road, North Granby, died Wednesday (May 18, 1994) at Noble Hospital, Westfield, Mass. He was born Jan. 4, 1922, in Manchester, Vt., son of the late Wilfred and Lolita (Baker) Langlois. Prior to retiring, he was employed at Stanley P. Rockwell Co., Hartford, and was a U.S.C.G. veteran of World War II. He enjoyed time with his family, dogs, fishing, hunting, and other outdoor activities. He is survived by his wife, Carolyn; three sons, Stephen, Philip, and Peter; a daughter, Laura; a daughter-in-law, Norma; and six grandchildren. He was predeceased by his son, Paul L. Jr.

1 comment:

  1. (((Hugs))) & Happy Fathers to those fathers in your life that are both near and far. xo

    nicole @ livingabsolute

    ReplyDelete